Sunday, August 06, 2006

Six Years Old

Six years ago on this day, I chose the better way...to open my heart and let Christ in.

And six years later on this day, I still choose the better way...to open my hands and serve the way Christ did.

Oh how glorious the gifts our Father gives are! I was graced with the presence and conversation with Larry, who attended our community barbeque tonight. Larry is homeless, and without much. Throughout much of the barbeque, Larry paced around, extremely nervous and anxious, and for some reason I was drawn to him. I brushed it aside altogether too easily, but God is sovereign and there was much more to be done.

Larry approached me at the end of the night asking me how he could help out with the cleanup. That began a conversation in which he was talking about how he was surrounded by extreme beauty in all of the women there tonight, and how he would give his life for any one of us. I wasn't sure where the conversation was going, for he first talked about his background. He's originally from South Carolina, and came out here for the movie business. There was a bit of resentment there, and deep sorrow in the fact the last time he went home, there was nothing there for him and no one left, and he vows he will never go back except for getting married and having his ashes scattered there. As we continued to talk, he took off his jacket and rolled up his sleeves to show me his tattoo, in which there was a cross. He spoke of how the Cross represented God and how He is everything to him, and then the four points represented life, love, justice, and peace. He spoke of how all of these things are worth fighting for, and he talked about Christ and how that sacrifice is everything in his life. He talked of how these things are greater than anything the world can do and is. He talked of his current struggles and how he's working on being around people because it's hard for him.

But in all of this, he holds fast to the promise of Christ and that God is sovereign in his life. Though his present troubles are great and magnified, he still has so much hope and faith in God.

I've been asking myself the question lately being surrounded and spending time with the homeless here in Santa Monica why is it that I am blessed with so much when others have so little? I know the basic answer to that question, but I believe there is more to it, that through this situation God will speak to me about a world vision. That remains to come.

But how humbling it was tonight for Larry to give me all that he had to give...encouragement to stand firm, to wait for my "soulmate" that God has for me, to know that I am beautiful, and left me with a hug and kiss on my hand.

Have I ever met such a gentleman whom I had never met before said he would die for me, to protect my beauty? Have I ever met such a gentleman who gave me his everything?

I did tonight in Larry.

But six years ago I did when I received Christ. He is the one who died for me, to protect my beauty, who gave me His everything.

How beautiful it was to see Christ manifested in Larry...

Oh how precious is grace...that I can fall at His feet and He'll wipe the tears off my face...that despite all my shortcomings He still loves me the same.

And oh how beautiful are the things God has in store...six years have passed by and eternity awaits. This is the source of my true joy and for which I long for.

Six years old in the Lord!

2 comments:

JG said...

:) That's all!!!

Colin said...

.....!!!