Saturday, February 11, 2006

In Which I Boast

Olympics…all of these different countries and athletes come together and unite for a common purpose. It does not matter where they are from but instead there is a respect among all, for all have toiled and sacrificed much in order to gain this great goal: the privilege of competing in an Olympic Games. While there is pride in each’s home country it is not the arrogant type of pride (at least not in the norm), that states “my country is always better than yours,” but rather the kind of pride that is “I believe in my country that helped me to get here and I know I can bring glory back to it in return.” One often finds that the best athletes are the most humble ones.

How often do we take pride in ourselves in an arrogant way? The only thing we can ever boast in is that of Christ Jesus! Galatians 6:14 states “May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me and I to the world.” And I also wonder how often we truly humble ourselves and look at other people and cultures and see not the differences but the thing that brings us together. We let petty differences separate us far too often and this is one of Satan’s strategies. We must not fall prey to it, for we “are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus, for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus” (Galatians 3:26-28).

No comments: