Monday, February 13, 2006

Beggar's Grace

There's a beggar by the side of the road
asking for any change I can spare
and perhaps a ticket home to the life he once knew
but do I care? or do I dare?
To open up my hands and let him come in?

Told to push away my selfish desires
for the benefit of the common man
after all, who am I
to withhold the grace apportioned to me, to do what I can
to open up my arms and let him come in?

I forgot the roots I once bore
when i was beyond nothing and no one seemed to care
yet by the mercy of God I was plucked out of the miry pit
into the presence of my Daddy, the one so fair
I ran in to His open arms and let him come in

So the beggar I was, the beggar I let in
Sharing the grace given so freely
For who am I to forget what has been done for me?
It is this that beckons me to be welcoming
After all, the beggar was once me

No comments: