Thursday, January 05, 2006

Scars and Strangers

There are many scars that occur in and as a result of a battle. Some appear to be surface wounds while others appear much deeper and life threatening. We look at those with the deep wounds and wonder how they are surviving and wonder how they still live with such a deep affliction. We wonder how these deep scars occurred and how they are affecting the person today, though they may have occurred long ago. Some wear their scars with pride, saying, “look at who I am and what I have been through. I am right to feel and act the way I do because I bear the mark of hurt.” And there are others who wear their scars in shame, saying, “I am ashamed to have been what I have, and I bear the mark of hurt and this will always be branded on me, why should I change? Obviously I deserved to have this happen to me so I might as well live the life of shame.” There are others who ignore it still, and say, “What? This scar you ask? I don’t remember it, don’t ask about it” when really they remember it so vividly and how it occurred and the pain it brought. In doing this they prevent themselves from ever receiving healing.

And there are the ones who have the surface wounds that don’t appear to be much. I remember as a kid that often the tiniest little cuts, the ones that you wouldn’t think hurt much, often bled the most. You couldn’t get it to stop bleeding though the source of hurt was so small. Though the wound and scar appears small the impact was long lasting. There are many people who have these surface wounds, these little scars all over themselves rather than just one severe wound. These are the times they have been hurt over and over again in different ways, and though it may have not been as severe as one life-threatening wound, it still had a long impact and is memorable. Think about all these little scars and the blood that poured out of them. That’s a significant loss. It is these people who remember lots of the little things that hurt and bear little scars from all of the different events, but lumped together they are often as significant or more so than one severe wound.

You walk around today and see these scars that people bear. Often times they tell a life story. Look into the eyes of people around you; I mean, REALLY look into the eyes of those people. You won’t see someone who has it all together, but I can almost guarantee that almost every single person you come across you will see as broken in some way. You will be able to see their scars, whether one deep wound or several little ones. I know that the ones with the deep wounds are easier to recognize because they wear it out more openly than others do; they aren’t able to hide it as well. But we must not forget those ones who seem to be okay, the ones with the little wounds all over because they will be hurting just as much if not more so. It is easier for them to put on a façade that things are really okay when they are not.

These people are in a battle. We all are. And through this battle people suffer wounds and bear the scars as a result. It is only through the power of Christ that we will find healing. It is only when the Holy Spirit moves that we will be restored. It is only when we seek Him out completely broken that He can redeem His people. And though it’s extremely difficult to feel other people’s burdens and pains, I pray that you will. I pray that you will see other people through His eyes and see the scars they bear. I pray that you will allow yourself to be a vessel for the Holy Spirit to show the love of God and the healing He can bring through you. And I pray that though we are in this battle, you can look ahead and see the beauty He will bring as a result.

Isaiah 8:11-14: “The Lord spoke to me with his strong hand upon me, warning me not to follow the way of this people. He said: ‘Do not call conspiracy everything these people call conspiracy; do not fear what they fear, and do not dread it. The Lord Almighty is the one you are to regard as holy, he is the one you are to fear, he is the one you are to dread, and he will be a sanctuary.”


Hebrews 11:8-10: "By faith-Abraham, when called to go to a place he would later receive as his inheritance, obeyed and went, though he did not know where he was going. By faith he made his home in the Promised Land like a stranger in a foreign country; he lived in tents, as did Isaac and Jacob, who were heirs with him of the same promise. For he was looking forward to the city with foundations, whose architect and builder is God."

A stranger in the land that’s yet to be the promised one
Place my tent upon the rock
For He is surely to be higher than I
Cast away the comforts I hold so tightly in my hands

In a land unbeknownst to where I am
The call to go resonated deep within the soul
As to where and when, I count these things but loss
For my inheritance rests solely in the Lord

Chorus
You have called me to go so here I am
No matter what the cost, here I stand
For I know I am a stranger of this world

A heir to the promise so everlasting
I long for the heavenly kingdom to come
You are my God, this I hold dear to my heart
Prepare the way to the city of You

No comments: