Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Stilled and Quieted My Soul

"My heart is not proud, O Lord, my eyes are not haughty; I do not concern myself with great matters or things too wonderful for me. But I have stilled and quieted my soul, like a weaned child with its mother, like a weaned child is my soul within me. O Israel, put your hope in the Lord both now and forevermore " Psalm 131.

Being weaned from a mother's breast isn't an immediate act, but rather the baby lays fitful in his mother's arms as he craves that which satisfies him. Yet the mother knows that it is best for her child for him to be no longer dependent or crave that of which satisfies him for the present; she knows there are bigger and better things. When the child is finally weaned, he is able to rest securely in his mother's arms without a fitful rest or flood of crying. The soul has been stilled and quieted.

How young am I in certain ways, such as depending so much and finding so much stock within myself, when it is no longer I who lives but Christ who lives in me. Instead of depending on that which is right in front of me, the things of this world, how much more should I look to my nurturer, Jesus Christ! How I should always look to Him!

Yet how faithful is God still in melting my haughty heart and the more I see His grace the more I am humbled. And how much better is it still when I don't concern myself with the things I am not meant to understand.

A walk by faith. The walk in the Spirit. This is what I am meant to live for, nothing else. No longer will I allow myself to get in the way; I pray earnestly that He will do whatever it takes to push me aside for His will to be done.

Leave the things I once knew. It's all rubbish, all I count but loss. The routines that nullify my heart so effectively will cease. Instead let the uprising of a love that swells so fervently in my heart pour out and determine my attitude, my actions, my life.

"But I have stilled and quieted my soul..."

No comments: