Thursday, March 13, 2008

The Question of "What if?"

I'm not going to say that "what if..." is a bad question to be asked. But I think I've realized over the past couple of days that it's a question that needs to be carefully discerned and asked only for the benefit of a situation. "What if" is often a thought pattern that implores all possibilities and is subject to the constantly changing, fleeting nature of this world. I think before "what if" is asked, we need to ask the question, "what do we know?" I know that God is unchanging in a constantly changing world. I know that God is faithful to His word. I know that God will never fail to be less than Himself in every way. And that's all I truly need to know to keep me going.

I am one to love the question "what if" as I am a strategizer and like to plan. However, I need to carefully discern when I ask that question that it is asked in my own benefit and in others. So often those "what if" thoughts and questions I entertain never come to be. On the other side of it, sometimes being asked "what if" can be a tricky position to be in. I'm thankful for the ways in which it challenges my faith because it requires me to give an answer for the hope that I have. I do pray that my brothers and sisters in Christ would discern the best time and place to ask these questions for the benefit of everyone involved...

On the last note, let us always probe the mysteries of the triune Godhead! Let us devote ourselves to that mystery and allow Himself to reveal things we do not see at the present. Let us seek Him and His will and ask in accordance to that. Those are much more beneficial and have much more sustenance than any fleeting "what if" thoughts can bear.

No comments: