Monday, August 06, 2007

The Way of the Cross

"The will of God is always a bigger thing than we bargain for, but we must believe that whatever it involves, it is good, acceptable, and perfect." -Jim Elliot

"So many purposes come into existence when one works the will of God, that there is no excuse for laziness or wasted time. He is redeeming our lives, as well as our souls." -Jim Elliot

I've been reading The Shadow of the Almighty for some time now, and every time I read it, God speaks clearly through it, either bringing something new or confirming something else. What wisdom Jim Elliot possessed, and what an intimacy with the Lord he bore.

I've been incredibly humbled over the last two days or so. I look at my God and myself and I see how holy, just, and loving He is, and what filth I am. In some ways, I've felt like a dog with his tail in between his legs, looking up at His master waiting for the sign of love and forgiveness only He can give. The thing is, I know He's given it...however, it's been hard for me to receive it. I look at myself and see how unworthy I am and I ask God, "why? Why do you choose me? Why do you love me in this way?"

His will is so much bigger than I bargained for, as Jim Elliot says, but I know that it is good. There are so many times when I fail and fall short. I keep coming back to the fact that humility is making nothing of yourself and everything of God...and I praise God for that fact. I praise Him that through these past couple of days, He may be magnified...that I may see His sovereignty in every way.

It's not about me. It never was and never is and never will be. All the filth of me has been paid by the way of the Cross. All of my weaknesses are made perfect in His strength, given by the way of the Cross. And in all my shortcomings, His grace is magnified in the light of the Cross.

He is faithful in every way I am not. He redeems and restores things that I have dropped the responsibility of carrying. He picks up my cross for me where I have laid it down and tells me to follow Him. His path is steady though uncertain. He asks for my devotion. He asks for my love. And He asks for my belief in Him in every way-that He has redeemed me, forgiven me, and will lead me onwards, pursuing eternity and His Kingdom come from this day forward.

I get overwhelmed by His presence in my life, because He's not just some person far off in the distance to whom I can never get closer. He's the One in whose arms I rest and fall, whose voice I hear, whose love I feel, and whose strength allows me to stand and walk again. My God is not impersonal in one bit-He is altogether intimate! There is no place I can go from His presence; He is always with me.

And there are so many purposes in living in the will of God, purposes that I cannot accomplish on my own and that I know have a tremendous impact...and surely, my flesh will fail me in doing so. May I always choose to go to my God for strength, wisdom and clarity. May I always believe and walk on the way He's prepared.

It is by the way of the Cross I find myself again tonight, humbled, needing to receive what I have not earned. The way of the Cross has paid my ransom...and I must take it as such.

No comments: