Sunday, April 16, 2006

At the Foot of the Cross

Walking in the fields of green when something gleams
Taken aback I turn around and see
Your cross stretched out, fallen upon the ground
No longer in its full glory

Over the fence I climb, stretching to reach
The grace upon which I stumbled so greatly
Moved by love I was compelled
To take up Your cross once again

Lifting it up, glimpses of Simon of Cyrene
Appalled by the weight of which You bore
In the midst of excruciating pain
How was this cross carried that day?

Not by my own strength but Yours
The cross was lifted up from the floor
And crucified You were again
For me my sins You bore


Up in its full splendor, never have I been so moved
To hug the cross so dear to me
Looking to where Your ankles bound
To where Your pierced hands lay
To where Your head bowed
In the midst of excruciating pain
Love of the Father present still
At the foot of the cross I lay


Barbed wire pierced my hand
Like the nails You bore
A drop of blood, a single tear
At the price You paid
Ever still I stumbled upon a coil of wire
The crown of thorns You wore
What did You go through for me, my Dear Lord?


The fence broken through
Gates open wide
The door to heaven remains
A gift to those who accept the price He paid
Released from all bondage still
A free and released soul
In the presence of Our Dear Lord


Walking in the fields of green when something gleams
Taken aback I look up and see
The love of the Father, shining from the sky
The price He paid in all its full glory

No comments: